I’m back! …….I know, I know, it’s been a long time. I’m so sorry! I don’t usually like making excuses, but I feel like I owe at least a quick explanation.
It boils down to life being busy and the need to work on writing, or more to the point, proofreading and editing. I know that writing a blog doesn’t take a long, long time out of each week, but given how little time I’ve had to work on anything writing related, those extra minutes or couple of hours have been precious.
But it was well worth it. Because three novels will be available very soon! I’ve finished all proofreading and editing on all three novels, gotten two proof copies (and found changes needed on the covers,) and now ordered what I hope will be the final proof copies of all three novels!
What that means is cover reveals may finally be coming! Hopefully as soon as next weekend!!!!
Having said all of that, I wanted to get back a little bit to this blog’s roots and talk about some of what I’ve learned these past few months about my writing style, and the changes I’ve noticed.
Editing Through The Years
Editing these three books has been a unique and eye-opening experience, because each of these three were written several years apart! Rise of the Forgotten was written over the course of several, several years, and I believe the first ‘final’ draft was completed in 2013 or so. Burning Skies was finished I think around 2014, and then Orc War Campaigns in 2016.
Going through and doing a renewed proofread on all three in a row, I’ve discovered just how much my writing has evolved and improved over the years. Why do I say that? Well, let me put it this way. As I went through and proofread each one, I dog-eared every page that needed work. And as you can see in the picture below…Rise of the Forgotten needed a TON of work, Burning Skies far less, and Orc War Campaigns very, very little (click the picture to see it larger)
And most of it had to do with resolving writing style issues, word choice, sentence structure…some of the choices I made in books 1 and even 2, I read and go “What the hell was I thinking back then?? That’s a terrible way to write that scene!”
I also cut a lot back. In fact, in both books 1 and 2, I completely cut out entire paragraphs, because they were completely useless paragraphs and they only slowed the story down!
And I, erm, “began to notice” a common issue in my earlier writing…
So It Began
“Cardin Began to move…”
“Sira started to look around.”
“Reis began to sit up.”
“Kailar began to draw her sword.”
Just a small sample of what I found. Everyone ‘began’ to do things, no one actually did anything. And I spent a lot of time and effort fixing this issue in each manuscript (but far more often in books 1 and 2, almost no instances of that in Orc War Campaigns.)
Changing “Cardin began to move” to something as simple as “Cardin moved” or even better, “Cardin ambled over.” Word choice that moves the story forward actively rather than ‘starts to’ move the story forward but doesn’t actually do it.
That was perhaps the single-most annoying aspect of my older writing style that I found. Hopefully I caught all examples of it and fixed them all :)
That’s all I have for today, folks! Check back next weekend for news on the new books, including hopefully cover reveals and, if all goes well, release dates!